Thursday, May 28, 2009

fast grow the weeds

First, a question for you uber gardeners out there: I have read that tomatoes actually enjoy being planted in the same place in the garden year after year. Fact? Or Fiction?

I am always surprised at how fast the time rolls by, and with a small child the adventures are ... new! Yet the garden, it never sleeps.

We started out this year with the Square Foot Gardening method. I'm sure you might have heard of it. While the book sells like a Ronco infomercial, the logic behind it seems sound. Yet we have discovered that having plants spread out among six beds and the upkeep of the "squares" just isn't our style.

And that's okay.

We are drowning in a sea of lettuce and spinach, chard and kale. The cabbage worms have struck, the thunderstorms have pelted, and now the sun shines brightly. Even as I become tired of all the greens I am eating the tomatoes and squash eagerly shoot out of the ground, promises of the summer harvest.

2 comments:

ChristyACB said...

I'm not too diligent on the squares either. I mean, how does one keep those squares with full grown veggies in the squares next to it? I've no idea. Looking good though over there. I got smacked by serious cabbage worms here too. I can't stand those little buggers.

aryn said...

I've no idea either! And the idea it deters pests doesn't do much when the beds are so close together. We had worms everywhere between plots of kale-in radishes, potatoes, you name it.